Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Easy DIY Burlap Table Runner

First thing first, I have small kids, two of them.  They do crazy things like tape huge pictures of "chompy" Christmas trees to my dining room wall (okay so that was my idea to keep them busy the other night), and they crumple up my pretty burlap table runner when it's time to eat and toss it on the floor (that might have been me again).  Today I'm running around cleaning up ash finger paintings from my toddler (don't ask), and stuffing the goat hut with fresh hay, so I'm not even pretending my photo of my dining room is Better Homes and Garden ready.  ;)

The good news is that this project might be one of the simplest, and most successful (meaning it's lasted two years and I still love it, and would do it again in a split second) crafts there are.



And you only need three supplies.

  1. A roll of burlap in your favorite width.  Yes, you want the rolls that are with the ribbon, or Christmas supplies.  (Michael's even Walmart has them right now)  They come with the seams sewn up for you, worth that 3 dollars extra to buy a roll instead of off the bolt.
  2. Glue Gun, low temp, and glue sticks.
  3. Pretty ribbon or lace.  Buy enough to match your length of burlap x 2.
Rush home and plug in your glue gun.  While you're waiting for that to heat up, line your work space with wax paper, or the shiny side of butcher's paper, so you don't glue your runner to the table.  ;)  Now here's the tricky part... carefully glue your ribbon or lace to your burlap runner.  Then enjoy a cup of coffee with whipped cream, and enjoy your hard work.  (oh, and unplug your glue gun!!!)  

Seriously anything goes here.  You can use a stencil and paint on a design, use thicker ribbon down the middle, make place mats... I'm in love with these burlap rolls!  Now to get rid of that old wallpaper in my dining room...

~Emily

Ps I would love to hear your Christmas projects too!  Please feel free to share!


4 comments:

  1. LOVELY! Now, what's that in the vase holding the fancy sticks upright?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, those would be fake bell ornaments from Target. ;)

      Delete
  2. Also, too, that previous comment was me. Because I didn't understand that "Comment as Unknown" was actually going to say "Unknown." Derp.

    Aliesha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the reason I allowed unknown comments. <3

      Delete