Thursday, February 11, 2016

{Book Review} Better than Before by Gretchen Rubin



I have to start out being completely honest.  I might be a tad bit of a fan girl of Gretchen Rubin. A friend a while back had sent me "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen, and I kid you not that book was written just for me, and all about me.  The style, the layout, the words... all for me.  So I pretty much dove into this book a huge fan.  (Didn't hurt when Gretchen totally hearted a pic of my "Rules of Adulthood" on instagram either)

And another honest tid-bit to share, I hadn't even read what the dang book was about before I loaded it up into my Amazon Cart and pressed the magic button that had it in my hands 2 1/2 days later.  #fangirl  

So what are we reading?  Better than Before is all about habits.  Not so much a how to, but more so a why we do, or why we don't, and ways to look at habits.  Why some behaviors are easier to establish than others.  Why our personalities aren't a one size fits all when breaking a bad habit.  And why we need habits, good habits to make life a bit easier to chew.

Gretchen's writing style is what always calls to me the most.  The book is her journey diving into the world of habits.  You will get tons of information, but plated in an easy to digest formula.  As she plays around and dissects what works for her, what doesn't, and how it effects those around her.

My biggest problem when reading Gretchen's book?  She brings up so many books that sound so interesting, that I stopped reading her book to go read those books too.  Do you have to?  Nope, that's just my nature.  I want all the details.  I want the reading logs, the charts, the side notes...  (But who's complaining, I shall never run out of reading material!!)

Am I "Better than Before"?  I only just finished the book five minutes ago, and I'm the kind that let's it all soak in, and then I'll probably read it again.  Am I driven to change habits?  Absolutely.  Especially since she, or the book, caught me mid-wind of all sorts of changes in my life.  Do I feel like she gave me tools or directions that will help me?  Yes.  Of course, She seems to just get me, and her info always meshes with me.  

Should you read, "Better Than Before"?  Yes, yes, yes.  I cannot tell you how many times, mid paragraph that I wished I had a highlighter near me, or a pen (The only place I can escape to read ALONE and QUIETLY tends to be the tub, why I can't remember a pad of paper is beyond me, it's just not a bathroom thing)  There were so many passages where I was saying, "This is so this person!  They need these words!"  or, "That's him EXACTLY."  I don't think you'll finish the book in awe of life changing moments with angelic choirs, but I think you'll finish it feeling good about yourself, feeling a bit charged and able to make changes if you so choose.  And that's my favorite part, the book is not about guilting you into wanting to change, but empowering you to change if you so desire!  

So while you go off to buy her book, I'm gonna dive into the pile of books she made me want to read.  :)  Thanks Ms. Rubin!  


~Emily

~~Legal parts.  I was not paid, endorsed, ore reimbursed for my review.  I bought the book with my own cash, and read it under my own free will, and posted my own honest review because I enjoy doing do.  Thanks!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment